- Learn more
- Get Involved
- Register a Camper
- Contact Us
Come Work for Camp Quest!
Camp Quest, Inc. seeks a full-time Program Manager. Our organization supports a growing network of weeklong summer camp programs aimed at children and teens from nonreligious families. Our camps provide a mix of traditional summer camp fun plus science, philosophy, and critical thinking activities in an environment designed to foster a sense of community among the youth participants.
The Program Manager will work with volunteer camp leaders to develop and share camp planning resources throughout our network of camps, and work with groups interested in launching new camps. The goals of this effort are to
- Ensure sustainability and quality in current Camp Quest programs through providing support and resources to volunteer camp leaders in an efficient and systematic way.
- Foster the successful launch of new camps through clear communication of expectations and efficient sharing of resources and information.
This position will be the second staff person in a small, fast-growing, non-profit corporation. The Program Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, and will have substantial input in organizational decision-making. The right candidate will be flexible, eager to learn new skills, and excel at developing systems and implementing processes.
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), including some hours on evenings and weekends. This position will be based out of our office in Columbus, Ohio, and includes some travel. This position will begin on or around May 1, 2013.
To apply for this position, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due no later than March 17, 2013. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Your resume
- Two references who can speak to your work, volunteering, or academic experience. Include email, phone number, and how you know each reference.
- Answers to the screening questions below
- A writing sample following one of the two prompts below
- Creating, organizing, and managing access to an online repository of camp planning materials for Camp Quest leaders
- Collecting documentation from camp leaders and making those materials available through our online repository
- Creating and maintaining a "Camp Starting Guide" document for use by camp leaders
- Implementing a standard camp launch process for working with new contacts to determine if they are good candidates for starting camps, and guiding such candidates through the start-up phase.
- Managing and creating listservs and other communication tools for camp leaders to share information
- Communicating with camp leaders to determine their needs
- Implementing and monitoring Camp Quest's license agreements with our affiliated camps.
- Planning training events for camp leaders, in person and over the phone.
- Answering questions and troubleshooting issues with camp leaders and prospective camp leaders as needed.
- Act as subject-matter expert for all aspects of running a camp.
- Handling other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Able to work collaboratively with a diverse population of volunteers
- Highly organized
- Experienced at seeing projects through to completion
- Self-directed and motivated
- Excels at developing and implementing systems and processes
- Strong writing skills
- Strong computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations)
- Comfortable learning new technologies
- Able to maintain focus and be productive in a busy office environment
- Willingness to travel to camps in the summer, and periodic weekends in the off-season (expenses paid by Camp Quest)
- Experience with Google Apps (sites, mail, drive, etc.)
- Experience with summer camps
- Familiarity with website content management systems, especially Drupal
- Familiarity with constituent management software (CRMs), especially CiviCRM
- Basic graphic design skills
- Experience with secular worldviews and the secular community (atheists, agnostics, humanists, etc.)
- Starting salary $28,000-$30,000 commensurate with experience.
- Three weeks of paid time off per year (combined sick and vacation time)
- Comp time for weekends/holidays worked
- Health insurance
- Why are you interested in this position?
- When would you be available to start?
- What are your long-term career goals? How does this job fit into those plans?
- Are you willing to be publicly known as a supporter of the freethought movement? (The two most controversial elements of that movement being: 1. promoting respect and equal right for atheists, agnostics, humanists, and others who don't believe in a god or gods AND 2. profound skepticism of supernatural claims.)
- What experience, if any, do you have with summer camps?
- What experience, if any, do you have with atheist, agnostic, humanist, or freethought organizations?
- What experience(s) from your paid work do you expect to help you most with this position? Why?
- What experience(s) from volunteering, activism, or other areas outside of your paid work, do you expect to help you most with this position? Why?
- When you have multiple projects going on at the same time, what do you do to prioritize them and stay organized and effective?
- When you need to learn how to do something new, how do you go about doing that?
- From what you know about Camp Quest, what do you like best?
- From what you know about Camp Quest, what would you most like to see improve?
- Is there anything else you'd like to make us aware of as we consider your application?
Writing Sample Prompts:
Please include as part of your application a writing sample (250-750 words) based on one of the two situations below.
- A camp director emails and says the she is having trouble recruiting enough volunteer counselors for her weeklong camp session coming up in two months. Compose a reply email providing her with guidance on this situation.
- A person emails expressing interest in learning about starting a new Camp Quest camp in Florida. Compose an email reply soliciting more information from this new contact and providing suggested next steps.